A Court of Thorns and Roses - Sarah J. Maas

This book had me crying like a wee baby! I was in the mood for a fantasy and my library loan finally arrived, so I dove into A Court of Thorn and Roses based on glowing reviews. Freyre (Fay-ruh) was an extraordinary main character struggling to survive poverty in a world where humans and fey are separated by borders, as per a treaty. Feyre's hatred of the fae has life-changing consequences for her.

I think the plot needed more conflict. At a certain point, the romance feels like any ordinary YA coupling. The love interest, for some unexplained reason, becomes tongue-tied and growly when he's near the heroine, much like hero in Beauty in the Beast. If there would have been a a Mrs. Potts and Chip I probably would have DNF'd. Luckily, the plots more complicated and makes everything interesting again. The romance does become credible (even though I found Tamlin a little flat for his role).

Freire is how I like my heroines: strong, flawed, and smart. There were two TSTL moments that pushed this novel into cheesy YA romance territory and was unnecessary to the plot, in my opinion. Luckily, there aren't major consequence to Freyre's actions to diminish her. I will say they a minor peeves in the scope of her story. Freyre grows from a hardened 19 year old into a better person and I found her growth compelling. I was emotionally engaged and look forward to the second book in this series. I'm not sure if the ending introduced a potential love triangle (with a shady character I like and find very interesting) or there's a another layer to the story, but I'm hooked. I may tryThrone of Glass.